Sitting down to watch a TV show or movie is a great way to enjoy recreational time, especially for seniors. Older adults often have more time to themselves and may be looking for ways to pass the time, especially if they are stuck inside, have limited mobility, or less social interaction. TV and movies are an easily accessible form of entertainment which can be modified for the various needs of the elderly. Unfortunately, so much of modern media centers young people and stories about coming of age or young adults entering into early relationships; stories which may not be as interesting or applicable to the elderly who are well past that stage. Seniors are often an afterthought or even portrayed as stereotyped characters there for a laugh or as a subplot for the main characters.
Accurate representation in TV and movies for seniors show that your life isn’t over after a certain age. People of all ages still laugh, love, date, dream, have adventures, get into trouble, experience joy, and face struggles. As with any population, it is important for seniors to have representation in the media which show the unique personalities and realistic, varied life experiences of elderly individuals. Read on for some ideas of media with senior representation.
- Grace & Frankie (Netflix)
- Jane Fonda and Lily Tomlin become unlikely friends as they navigate aging, friendships, and relationships.
- Only Murders in the Building (Hulu)
- Steve Martin and Martin Short team up with Selena Gomez to solve a murder in their New York building.
- The Golden Girls (Hulu)
- Bea Arthur, Betty White, Rue McClanahan, and Estelle Getty are four senior women sharing a house, and lots of laughs, in Florida.
- Hot in Cleveland (Paramount+)
- Three middle aged women from LA end up living in Cleveland with an elderly Polish woman played by Betty White.
- Book Club (Paramount+, FXnow, DIRECTV)
- Diana Keaton, Jane Fonda, Candice Bergen, and Mary Steenburgen are four lifelong friends who decide to read Fifty Shades of Grey for their monthly book club.
- Calendar Girls (buy or rent on most streaming services)
- Helen Mirren and Julie Waters lead their Women’s Institute to raise money for cancer research by making their own nude calendar.
- The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel (Roku Channel)
- A group of British seniors decide to retire to India’s new Marigold Hotel.
- I’ll See You in my Dreams (buy or rent on most streaming services)
- Blythe Danner navigates dating, friendship, and life as a senior.
- Tea With the Dames (buy or rent on most streaming services)
- A documentary featuring Dames Judi Dench, Maggie Smith, Eileen Atkins, and Joan Plowright.
The professionals at CJ & Associates Care Consulting understand the importance of representation and helping your loved ones to enjoy their later years. Contact us today for more information or to make an appointment.